How to compare simulated with observed flow/level in XPSWMM
source: Innovyze Support Portal
When you are calibrating a model, showing the simulated and observed flow and level in the same plot can be quite useful. This can be easily done in XPSWMM.
As shown above, for a link, just tell XPSWMM to plot the the flow from another file.
Prepare the observed flow data
A typical flow data file is a csv file with the following fields,
For the format, we need to refer to the XPSWMM settings.
3: the first row in the csv file is a header
4: we’ll use the free format to let CSV define the time step
5: here we define the format for each column
- STATION: this is a text field, we can have more than one flow meter data saved in this column, and this column define the meter name
- Date: use the mm/dd/yyyy format
- Time: using the hh/mm format
- Flow: that is the value to be compared to the results
A few tips on setting up the date time format in excel.
- generate time series, enter the first two time stamps, then just drag the cells to get fixed time interval time stamps series
- make two copies of the time stamp columns, one for date, another for time
- use the custom format to get date/time formatted
- Save the file as csv file in Excel
Link to the csv file in XPSWMM
- select the csv file
- show the list of the stations
- select the one for the pipe
- check all dates, and user defined, select the format defined for the csv file
5. click edit to review or edit the csv file directly
NOTE: If you have trouble editing the csv file. The most likely cause is the wrong encoding of the csv file. Use text editor such as Notepad++ to convert the encoding to ANSI
For more information on using the standard format, refer to this article.
The model can be downloaded from github.